Pioneer Memorial Rest Home Leads Telemedicine to Sandhills
The Nebraska Sandhills have great attractions and personal connections for residents. But one drawback, especially for seniors, was the 76 mile drive to health care specialists and providers. The Pioneer Memorial Rest Home in Mullen, Nebraska, closed that distance with the installation of high speed Wi-Fi broadband connections. This system provides secured website access for medical connections.
Dawn Mallory, Pioneer Administrator, explains that in the past, patients had to make that difficult 76 miles trip for medical diagnostics and treatment. But with the new Internet capabilities, staff and patients can connect online with medical staff in larger cities and facilities.
This implementation of telehealth tools allows long-time residents to stay in their home area, while still maintaining access to quality health connections.
Mallory’s advice: Don’t be afraid. Risk it. Dream it. Build it. Do it.
Pioneer Memorial Rest Home
Benefits of Broadband Technology
- Connects residents with medical professionals without the need to travel long distance
- Promotes confidence among residents in access to top quality health care
- Recognizes advantage of access to medical expertise and allows residents to utilize from home site
Results of Broadband Technology
- Provides residents the opportunity to remain in Sandhills region
- Provides access to distant medical expertise
- Provides economic development for area by retaining facility and residents