Emerging e-communities are diverse in their needs and in the maturity of their IT leadership. Emerging e-communities may be new to the strategic planning process, many have begun the strategic planning process but need to reenergize their leadership, or may be well on their way to becoming e-communities. Forming countywide or regional partnerships to address IT issues may help communities leverage their existing resources.
Activities for Emerging E-communities:
?Strengthen partnerships within community & region.
?Encourage community leaders to attend conferences or workshops on IT development.
?Host a community IT tour to see firsthand how others are using IT.
?Integrate IT into community and economic development plans and processes.
?Encourage the development of IT support services within the community or region.
?Encourage entrepreneurship development.
?Help businesses use social media to enhance marketing efforts.
?Encourage the deployment of advanced services.
?Address youth retention through school to work or other initiatives..
?Address quality of life issues.
Five Indicators for Successful Communities:
- Broadband Connectivity. Broadband is essential for economic growth as well as lifelong education, health care, and government services. Broadband services to the home or business as well as mobile broadband services are necessary.
- Knowledge Workforce. A skilled, technology-literate workforce is a key component for economic growth.
- Digital Inclusion. Efforts need to be made to provide public access to computers and the Internet and to provide introductory training on using computers and Internet applications. With so much information and so many services now available online, those without access can be left out without public access.
- Innovation. Communities should encourage organizations in all sectors (business, government, education, health care) to develop innovative solutions.
- Marketing and Advocacy. Communities need to market their successes and work within a community to build support for technology-related development initiatives.
-Intelligent Community Forum